Supreme Court confirms public can attend hearings in October for first time since Covid lockdown of March 2020

HEALTH

Products You May Like

A crosswalk signal is seen outside the U.S. Supreme Court building in Washington, U.S., June 27, 2022.
Elizabeth Frantz | Reuters

The Supreme Court starting Monday will allow members of the public to attend oral argument hearings for the first time since the Covid-19 lockdown of March 2020, the court’s press office confirmed in a statement Wednesday.

The resumption of public access will coincide with the beginning of the high court’s October term, when the court’s justices are due to hear arguments in three cases.

And the reopening will come a year after the court resumed in-person oral arguments after more than a year of conducting those sessions remotely.

For the past year, courtroom access for those hearings had been limited to the court’s nine justices, essential court personnel, lawyers for parties in cases being argued, and journalists with full-time press credentials from the court.

Earlier this month, Chief Justice John Roberts said public access would resume soon during an address to 10th Circuit Bench and Bar Conference in Colorado.

In its announcement Wednesday, the court’s press office said, “Masking in the Courtroom for oral arguments will be optional.”

But other than oral arguments, the Supreme Court building in Washington, D.C., “will otherwise be closed to the public until further notice,” the office said.

However, the court will continue offering a live audio feed for oral arguments, a practice that was instituted after the court barred public access to the hearings due to Covid.

The Supreme Court on March 16, 2020, said that it would postpone oral arguments that had been scheduled for the following two weeks that month due to “public health precautions recommended in response to Covid-19.”

The court then postponed oral arguments in April 2020 for the same reason. In May 2020, the court heard oral arguments via telephone conference for a number of cases that had been previously scheduled for arguments.

When the court began hearing oral arguments for its October 2020 term, it did so via telephone conference.

In-person oral arguments with no public access resumed in the October 2021 term.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

The Final Cut Reviews; Deet n Bax Save th’ World – A Stoner Comedy Starring Jason Mewes, Craig Michaelson and Weston Cage.
Deet n Bax Save the World Movie Starring Jason Mewes Premier on 4/20/2015 in Portland
Feature Film “Deet n Bax Save the World” Starring Jason Mewes to be Released on 4/20/2015 ”Deet n Bax Save the World” an Action Stoner Comedy starring Jason Mewes produced by TruEarth Entertainment.
TruEarth Entertainment to Deliver First Feature Film Starring Jason Mewes
Deet n Bax Save the World Movie – Sex, Guns & Weed!
Deet n Bax Save the World wrapped on November 4th!
Deet n Bax Save the World resumes filming this Monday in Portland Oregon!
Deet and Bax Save The World Movie Resumes Filming Soon!
COVID-19 impact on young people’s mental health could result in increased demand for support services
Pivo powers up Nigerian freight carriers with a bespoke digital bank, gets $2M seed funding
Putin humiliated as Russian troops struggle with friendly fire and Ukrainian tricks
Police take down ‘super cartel’ dealing one-third of Europe’s cocaine trade – video
Queen Letizia of Spain channels Kate Middleton in chic polka dot dress

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *